*There's always someone worse off than you...but that doesn't mean that your pain doesn't count*

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Vaginismus on Dr. Oz!

So I just wanted to put this out there to folks who have any type of Pelvic Floor Dysfunction problem - even if it isn't Vulvodynia or Vulvar Vestibulitis or Vaginismus (as Dr. Oz is referring to as "Vaginal Panic Attacks" - and I don't really know why...but anyway).

I saw this episode the other day and they finally got it up on the site and I got soooooo excited because it's the EXACT same type of electronic biofeedback device I just started using in Physical Therapy!  My first time through PT (which I'll explain a little later when I talk about PFD) she used the external electrodes that you see Dr. Oz put on the woman's arm.  She placed one right next to my vaginal opening and one on my abdomen as a control.  This time around, since I've been diagnosed with VV as well, I got the "little penis" as I like to call it - which is the little white insertable electrode you can see in this Dr. Oz clip.  Then the program Dr. Oz shows is the EXACT one I use too, so I just got really excited!

I do the biofeedback both laying and standing so I (and my PT) can see the difference.  The internal probe has been a much better tool as it gets right next to the muscles internally that spasm....although when I hold for a long time I start to get incredible pain against my coccyx bone (feel like the muscles are being pulled right off!) but afterwards it hurts internally - so its sooo weird how pain can trigger in different areas.

Another benefit of the internal probe is that you can also hook it up to a little machine (kind of looks like my Tens unit, but more like an electric heat control box - the ones with a knob you turn up for more heat and down for less you know?)  Anywho, she hooks it up to this and I can either use it for frequency or pain...it then acts similar to my tens unit sending electronic impulses inside to help calm the muscles.  I personally know that I am constantly contracting my muscles down there - especially on my right side, so having started biofeedback has made me think much more often throughout the day that I need to calm down and relax and take a few deep breaths and stretch.

The second video I found yesterday was Melody Thomas Scott (who plays Nikki Newman on the soap opera The Young and the Restless - my mom was obsessed so I learned to love it :) )  - well as a lot of you with IC know, she has IC and has been in remission for a while and is a huge advocate - I love having celebrity advocates for these diseases as for some reason it seems to make it "Real" to folks who don't understand it.  I don't know how many celebrities would come out and say "Hey I have a problem with my vagina and it hurts when I have sex!!!", but hey...the attention really helps the cause.  So this video talked a little about IC and her experience with it - noting that it is incredibly painful and serious.  I can't find it today but will upload it as soon as I can!

Anyway, I just always get so excited when I see these things on TV, to bring attention to what we go through, so here is the Dr. Oz Link:

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/vaginal-panic-attacks

1 comment:

  1. My mother had vaginal prolaspe, at lease I think that's what they call it. Anyway, alot of the pain you're describing is pain my mother used to tell me about.


    Marggie

    ReplyDelete